CALL FOR ROUNDTABLE PRESENTERS: THIRD WORKSHOP PEACE, SECURITY AND A SHARED FUTURE IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN
Call for Roundtable Presenters
CALACS will be offering a limited series of multidisciplinary workshops during 2023 which are organized around pressing themes in Latin America and the Caribbean. We envision these workshops as spaces for collaboration, creation, and mentorship. These workshops will replace the in-person 2023 Congress.
Peace, security, and a shared future in Latin America and the Caribbean
The World Bank reports that 74% of the almost two billion people globally exposed to, or threatened by, violence live in middle-income developing countries. The Americas continue to experience significantly high rates of violent crime, property crime, and organized crime. This is particularly true in small island states such as Jamaica, Haiti, Puerto Rico, and Trinidad and Tobago, which boast rates of homicides that are the highest in the Caribbean. The causes of this concerning trajectory are complex. This workshop aims to bring together scholars, practitioners, activists, and others, who are working on issues related to peace and security in the Americas. These issues may include policing, human trafficking, gang violence, corruption, drugs, cartels, law and order, gender-based violence, transnationalism, personal safety and security, and corruption.
This event will be held in English. Rather than asking for formal papers, we are calling for research project presentations (10 minutes maximum, strictly enforced) — and a willingness to identify and develop collaboration opportunities.
The workshop coordinators, Jody-Ann Anderson and Dwaine Plaza will identify some convergence points, suggest discussion possibilities, and facilitate exchanges among conference participants.
Date: October 13, 2023, 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM EST
Where: Zoom Link, TBA
- Submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 29 @ 11:59pm (EST).
- Presenters will have 10 minutes to present their projects.
- All participants must be current CALACS members.
- Please renew or become a CALACS member. All information is found on the CALACS website. Visit our website for more information.
- Please note that membership fees are non-refundable and correspond to the calendar year, January 1- December 31.
- For more information, you can contact us at email@example.com